Monday, March 2, 2009

I like to dissect girls. Did you know I'm utterly insane?

Wondercon came and went. Every year around this time I get somewhat excited about the event that is such. The costumes, the stench of BO, the shoulder to shoulder crowds, a place where my nerdiness pales in comparison, and cheap graphic novels. Sure, it's no comic-con, but what would I know? I've never been, but would love to go. From what I gather though, Wondercon is comic-con's sister who is not as hot nor as popular.

It runs for three days (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday). I went on Saturday when the majority of the stuff was going on that I wanted to witness. Sure Friday had a panel with Will Arnett, but Saturday was filled with more shit that I cared about. The day started out with a nice little wait before the Watchmen panel. The guests included director Zack Snyder, cast members Malin Akerman, Billy Crudup, Jackie Earle Haley, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Patrick Wilson, and artist Dave Gibbons. Zack Snyder came out and discussed some obstacles on making The Watchmen and then showed us the opening 15 (roughly) minutes, including the opening title sequence which is phenomenal. Directly after the opening footage, it cut to the scene with Jackie Earle Haley in the food line in prison which gave me goosebumps. If you have yet to read the book, I won't say what happens, but it's fucking badass. After the footage, the cast members were brought out and handled some questions during a brief Q+A. A hilarious moment I thought I'd share took place when a fan asked if there was a scene that they were either dreading or one they were looking forward to shooting and Jeffrey Dean Morgan quickly answered he couldn't wait to get to shoot the rape sequence. Didn't miss a beat. It was rad.





After that panel, which was the one I was most excited for, we walked around the floor and looked at all the booths to see what they had to offer. We accidently got sucked into the autograph line for Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher. Fuck. I knew the movie "stars" there charged for their photos and/or autographs, but Mark was fucking charging $100 for a signature. I don't know what shocked me more, if it was what he charged or how many people were in line to get said signature. After we made our rounds and caught site of Adam West, Honky Tonk Man, and various other washed up movie stars, Kim and I went to give blood. It was either that or go check out the new Star Trek trailer and/or footage. I don't really care about that, although I will probably end up check it out, we chose to give blood.



When we went to line up for the Terminator: Salvation and we accidentally caught the Up panel. Pixar's latest outing looks pretty awesome. They were pretty tight lipped about the plot and what not, but they did show us a few clips which funny and made me all the more excited for it.



About an hour later, the panel for Termaniator: Salvation began. Let me begin by saying that I am a huge fan of the first two Terminator films and thought the third one was a lot of fun and worth watching. I've held the same mindset for Terminator: Salvation for a while now, but after seeing the new trailer which will be released Friday in front of The Watchmen, it's hard not to be excited.





McG was very excited and seemed to have the fans in mind while making this as did some of the cast, but we'll see. McG began the panel with him calling Christian Bale and holding the phone up to the mic. He left a message saying that we're all excited that he is in the film, but Bale is dead to McG because he didn't come to Wondercon. Anyway, the trailer started up after McG said something along the lines of it "blasting our balls up our asses" which sounded good to me. I'm not going to go into detail about the trailer itself as it will be seen by many of you on Friday, but I will say it made excellent use of Nine Inch Nails' "The Day The World Went Away". It looked pretty fucking cool. I really like the idea of a company using people and them not knowing they're machines which was the direction this shit was headed. We took off mid-panel in order to get a ride and not BART (bay area rapid transit for those not living the bay area). I usually don't spend much when I go to these conventions, but I ended up with the first 3 hardcover books of The Walking Dead which I've started and already am in love with, the first Dark Tower graphic novel, and a Day of the Dead shirt. Overall, an awesome way to spend my Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment